There is something incredibly significant about Peninsula Christian Center being the first Spirit-filled church established in its area. When the founders of Peninsula Christian Center answered that call, God entrusted to this church a legacy of Spirit-led, Spirit-empowered ministry to Pacific Grove, and surrounding areas. It led then. It is still called to lead.
Answering that call in the early 1900’s required a boldness that we most likely cannot fully comprehend. People of the Spirit were mocked and marginalized. Peninsula Christian Center was no doubt birthed with a Spirit-anointed boldness. Its future will be seized with a Spirit-anointed boldness.
The beginnings of the First Assembly of God Church in Pacific Grove go back to as early as 1908 when a small group of Spirit-Filled Methodists began to meet and pray together in homes.
By 1922 this group had become more formalized and was led by Edith Freeberg who served as the first real Pastoral figure from early 1920’s-23. They met regularly at the Methodist Church of Pacific Grove, who extended the use of its facilities for Wednesday morning services.
The group outgrew the borrowed facilities and searched for a new place to meet. They discovered a church building that had been vacant located on the corner of Pine and Grand Avenues that was built by the Presbyterian Mission Board around the turn of the 20th century. An established Pentecostal Church in Pacific Grove began as this group started renting the building for $4 a month and later purchased the building from the Presbyterian Missions Board for $3,000 in May, 1922. They put up a down payment of $500 dollars and paid $25 a month with no interest to the Presbyterian Mission Board. At that time First Pentecostal Church was incorporated and became an affiliate of the General Council of the Assemblies of God.
Reverend Dennis Davis became the Pastor in November, 1961 and under his leadership the church purchased new property in June of 1962. Construction began on the new building in December of that year and was completed on July 1, 1963. The congregation moved into that building on July 7th.
John Wilkerson led the church in a second phase of building. On Sunday, April 4, 1976 First Assembly of God broke ground to provide parking for 25 more cars, preschool rooms, a kitchen, conference room, a Pastor’s office and study, extra office space and a workroom for the church and the school. We became Peninsula Christian Center of Pacific Grove in 1980.